Make Your Resolution a Reality!
This post was written by Amanda Brabec, our campus ambassador at the University of New Hampshire. She is majoring in Communication with a focus in Business and minor in Writing. You can follow her on Twitter at @AmandaBrabec.
Every year people make lists of New Year’s resolutions, but after a few weeks, the motivation fades, and they set back into old routines, letting the resolutions go by the wayside. However, this year, it doesn’t have to be like that. Turn your resolutions into achievable goals and make them happen!
1. Think long and hard about your goals. A long list of goals is unrealistic and can be discouraging, which may lead you to give up all together. Instead, pick two or three goals you’d really like to focus on. Start with these, and once you’ve accomplished them, you can move onto the other things.
2. Make your goals attainable and specific. Instead of “I’d like to get fit this year,” put it into measurable terms such as, “I want to commit to working out at least 4 times a week.” If your goal is vague, it’s easier to brush it off.
3. Write down your goals and put them in a visible place. Post them on your fridge, next to your mirror, or at your desk to serve as a constant reminder and keep you on track.
4. Tell people your goals. If your good friends or family members know what your goals are and know how important they are to you, they’ll hold you accountable. Having a good support system makes all the difference when doing something challenging.
5. Get organized. No matter the goal, by better managing your time, you’ll be more productive and fit your goal into your schedule. For instance, if you want to take more time to yourself, schedule it in. By sticking to a schedule, you’ll stick to your goals.
This is your year! By being motivated, focused, and determined you achieve any goal, whether it be getting a 4.0 or landing your dream internship!