18 Places To Go While Interning in NYC This Summer!
You’ve all read the guidebooks and learned about the different tourist attractions in New York City. I don’t have to tell you to go to the top of the Empire State Building or take the ferry to The Statue of Liberty. But here are some New York City recommendations that might not be in the guidebooks, enjoy!
1. The Highline and Chelsea Market. (http://www.thehighline.org/). Check out this gorgeous newly renovated railroad track park that spans right through the city. Go with a friend, take a nice long stroll down the highline, and grab some food and drinks while you are there. Our alumni, Molly Dodd, instructs you to take a cab or the ACE subway line downtown to 14th street stop and walk to 16th street and 9th avenue. That’s where you’ll find the Chelsea market.
3. Soco Restaurant in Brooklyn. (http://socobk.com/) We were told this place has a world famous red velvet waffle and chicken that you can only get here.
4. The Met. (http://www.metmuseum.org/ ). You’ve been told to go to The Met before but what about the rooftop garden? It’s supposed to be gorgeous!
6. TodayTix App. (http://www.todaytix.com/us/nyc). Don’t want to wait in line for countless hours at the TKTS booth? Try downloading this app for same-day show tickets for a much cheaper price.
8. Top of the Rock. (http://www.topoftherocknyc.com/) Our Intern Queen Alumni, Caitlin Elliott, says this is where you find the best views of Manhattan!
9. Eataly. (http://www.eataly.com/nyc/). If you haven’t experienced this magical food empire – you must! Ha! Make sure to stop at the espresso bar (it’s where I like to have morning meetings), venture through the markets, and if you are 21 – have a flight of wine!
10. Beaches of Long Island. (http://www.discoverlongisland.com/things/beaches_ocean_fun/) Our alumni, Lauren Nevidomsky, says, “If you are doing NYC for the summer, take a train out to Long Island to the beach.” This would be a great weekend daytrip!
11. Food Tours. (www.freetoursbyfoot.com). Our alumni Molly Dodd has a long list of recommendations. She starts by suggesting this food tour company. She said they are free to the public and you just pay for what you eat as you go!
12. Artichoke Pizza (114 10th Ave.) Molly Dodd says you must try this pizza and order a slice of their artichoke pizza! She says it’s near the highline and Chelsea Market.
13. The Boathouse. (Central Park, E. 72nd St @ Park). I’ve been going to New York City regularly since before I could walk. I’ve been to the park several times but just recently had brunch at The Boathouse. It was so gorgeous and worth the pricetag. I couldn’t believe I’d never been before!
14. Max Brenner. (http://maxbrenner.com/). If you are craving chocolate or just a fun easy-going lunch or dinner, check our Max Brenner in union square. We’ve done a few Intern Queen meet-ups here! Warning: chocolate everything!
15. Baked By Melissa. (http://www.bakedbymelissa.com/checkout/index.aspx). Have you been wondering who makes those cute mini cupcakes all over Instagram? Baked by Melissa is the cupcake venue behind those and they are all over the city!
17. Brooklyn Bridge Park. (http://www.brooklynbridgepark.org/). Hang out at Brooklyn Bridge park on the weekends and take a walk with friends over the bridge. This is great exercise with great views!
18. Washington Square Park. (http://www.nycgovparks.org/parks/washington-square-park) Our alumni, Mike Pendleton, says he loves going to this park on the weekends to read or to people watch. This is where lots of the NYU students hang and was the site of my first NYU dorm – Hayden Hall!