2 Summer Side Dishes Fit for Any Occasion
This blog post was written by Taylor, our Campus Ambassador from the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh.
Along with warm weather and late nights, summer brings out the best parties and picnics of the year. Whether you’re grilling with friends or gathering with family, here are two simple, healthy dishes that look great and taste even better! Give them a try and let us know what you think.
Pickled Cucumbers & Sweet Onions
8 cups of thinly sliced cucumbers (about 4 large cucumbers)
2 cups of sliced sweet onion (Vidalia is preferred)
1 tbsp. pepper
1 tbsp. salt
1 ½ cups vinegar
2 tsp. mustard seed
2 cups sugar
6 cloves of garlic, whole
1 tbsp. dried fresh dill
1. Combine cucumbers, onions and peppers in a large bowl.
2. Sprinkle with salt and set aside.
3. Next, combine vinegar, water and sugar in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat until boiling.
4. Once boiling, pour mixture over the cucumbers.
5. Add in seasonings and stir well.
6. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
2 large vine-ripened tomatoes, sliced about ¼ inch thick
½ lb. fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced about ¼ inch thick
1 cup fresh basil leaves
Coarse salt to taste
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
¼ cup of extra virgin olive oil or balsamic vinaigrette
1. Starting on the outside of a serving plate, alternate sliced mozzarella and tomato slices working your way inward until you’re all out. (Make sure they are slightly overlapping)
2. Next, tear fresh basil leaves and sprinkle over mozzarella and tomatoes generously.
3. Add salt and pepper to taste.
4. Cover and refrigerate. Or, if serving immediately, lightly drizzle balsamic or olive oil over the plate and voila!