This blog was written by one of the summer interns, Elizabeth, from the University of Missouri- Columbia, majoring in Strategic Communication with a minor in Psychology. You can follow her on Twitter: @solomoneg.
As the sunlight lasts longer during the summer, it’s easier to spend more time at the grill for savory dinners at sunset. Here are some of not only the best, but the healthiest, steak recipes to try!
For an Asian touch, try out the Grilled Asian Flank Steak:
With only 193 calories in 3 oz. this is a great way to keep your dinner healthy, with only 30 minutes of prep and cook time. All you need is:
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
3 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon minced fresh ginger root
1 beef flank steak (1-1/2 pounds)
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce, warmed
3 green onions, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted, optional
1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the first seven ingredients; add steak. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate overnight.
2. Drain and discard marinade. Grill steak, covered, over medium heat for 6-7 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Let stand for 5 minutes.
3. Thinly slice steak across the grain. Drizzle with hoisin sauce; garnish with onions. Sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
A skirt steak cooks quickly so you can spend more time on the garnishes and preparations.
This recipe gives the steak a tangy flavor with Paprika, taking only 30 minutes and serving 10:
6 tablespoon(s) unsalted butter
6 clove(s) garlic, thinly sliced
1 1/2 teaspoon(s) smoked hot paprika
2 tablespoon(s) fresh lemon juice
5 pound(s) skirt steaks
Vegetable oil, for rubbing
Freshly ground pepper
1. Light a grill or heat a grill pan. In a small saucepan, melt the butter. Add the garlic and cook over low heat, stirring, until golden, about 3 minutes. Add the paprika and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Remove from the heat, stir in the lemon juice and season with salt; keep warm.
2. Rub the skirt steaks with oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill over high heat until nicely charred and medium-rare, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer the steaks to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes. Thinly slice the steaks across the grain. Spoon the paprika butter over the steak and serve right away.
And finally, for the classic steak recipe with a bit of a twist- a lemon twist, to be exact.
For this recipe you can use a fattier steak if desired because there are no sides in the recipe itself to add to the fat and calorie count. Here’s what you need:
2 T-bone steaks, 1 1/2 inches thick (about 4 pounds in all)
1 tablespoon(s) olive oil
2 teaspoon(s) salt
1/2 teaspoon(s) fresh-ground black pepper
Lemon wedges, for serving
1. Light the grill. Rub the steaks with the oil and sprinkle with the salt and pepper.
2. Grill the steaks over high heat for 6 minutes. Turn and cook until done to your taste, about 6 minutes longer for rare. Serve with lemon wedges.
Enjoy! There’s nothing better than grilling with friends and family during the summer. It’s even better if it’s healthy!