5 Tips to Manage Your Time and Stay Organized this Semester
A few years ago I would email students to tell them they needed to be more involved. Nowadays, the tables have turned and I constantly talk to students who are way too busy. It seems like students nowadays are taking on too much and feeling more overwhelmed than ever. To ease your nerves and make you feel a bit less stressed I wanted to share 5 ways to stay organized this semester!
1. Plan, plan, plan! - I can’t stress this enough. It’s so important to plan things out ahead of time. One of my favorite ways to do this is to use a planner. This year we were so lucky to have Erin Condren sponsor our Intern Queen parties and gift journals and discount codes to the students there. In case you’re not familiar- they are a lifestyle brand with customized organizational and home products that simplify, stylize and organize your life. Their signature LifePlanner™ stylized organizers are a ‘must-have’ if you’re juggling it all- classes, work, extracurriculars and of course- social life. This stylish book is infused with color and inspiration and includes a month-over-month and week-over-week calendar system, to do lists, color-coded stickers and extra goodies, so you can plan your day- your way! Having a planner has made my life so much easier and believe me it will help simplify yours too.
2. Balance- After you have a good plan it’s important to look things over and to ensure that your time is balanced. You don’t want to spend all your time just hanging out with your friends and no time to do school work and vice versa. If you balance things out, believe me you will feel less overwhelmed
3. Set Goals- I always talk about how important it is to set goals for yourself. When I was in college I loved doing this on a semester basis. I would sit down and write down the 5 things I wanted to accomplish during the semester (I would usually write these down in my planner) and then at the end of the semester I would revisit the list and it made me feel so good to know that I accomplished my goals.
4. Be realistic- I know nowadays it seems so cool to be involved in everything but believe me this can catch up to you. You don’t need to be involved in all the clubs your school offers. Choose one or two and stick to those and participate as much as you can. If you join every single club your school offers you are going to risk getting a bad reputation with people who can be very helpful in your career.
5. Have Fun- Last but not least make sure you are having fun! Always remember that you are only going to be in college once and you don’t want to think back and only remember how stressed you were. One thing that can be really fun is to customize your planner and ‘back to school' essentials on ErinCondren.com. Check out their fun Back to School video to get your creative juices flowing.. Talk about motivation and style envy!
This is the first semester of the school year so make sure you start on the right foot! Get organized, plan and most importantly- have fun!