I've been speaking with my Intern Queen Ambassador Alumni - who are now employed at some of the nation's leading companies all over the US. I've been asking them about their experiences in the real world. I wanted to share some thoughts from a former intern and Intern Queen Ambassador (from Towson), Alicia Valko, who now works at Jack Morton.
1. Don't be afraid to reach out to people and set up informational interviews. Alicia says these helped her grow her professional network. They helped her get her foot in the door for opportunities down the road.
2. Do More Work, Not Less. Alicia isn't afraid of working hard. She says she looks for opportunities to do more work, rather than less. She sees each new project as an opportunity for growth.
3. Know Your Place. Our generation gets a bad reputation for acting "entitled". Alicia says she understands she is an entry-level employee and not the CEO of the company. She's careful not to overstep.
4. Have a Running To-Do List. Alicia explains that staying organized is key. She says that you must have a running to-do list to make sure nothing falls through the cracks. She files emails and papers as soon as she completes tasks to avoid clutter and stay put together.
5. Use Social Media For Your Job or Internship. Alicia talks about her usage of social media and how she frequently posts things that she finds interesting. She keeps the things she posts relevant to her job. She is careful not to post anything that she wouldn't want her boss to see. She understands that social media is part of her online brand.