With the uncertainty of when in-person gatherings will be safe again, mid-day coffees and networking events have been put on hold, right? Not so much! Here are 6 ways to network virtually and make the most of your professional network from the comfort of your home. The best part? You may even be able to network with someone in a completely different state or even country! Here are 6 ways to network and enhance your professional network.
1. Set Informational Interviews!
- The myth that nobody has time for informational interviews is simply not true. It is a great time to network and connect with people in your community and people that work at companies you aspire to intern or work for. Email and ask if they have 20 minutes to chat about their professional journey and share any advice for yours. Go into the call with set questions and an agenda. Remember, their time is valuable and you want to get the most out of the call!
2. Set up Zoom Coffees
- Informational interviews seem too serious? Start with a Zoom coffee meeting. It is just as great as a meeting in person with an added bonus – no commute time!
3. Zoom Fatigue = Phone Call!
- If people are experiencing zoom fatigue and you can tell they are not into utilizing zoom at the moment, ask to hop onto a quick phone call. You can even take the call in your pajamas - no judgment here!
4. Utilize LinkedIn
- Send out messages to people that you are not connected to on LinkedIn and ask to have a quick chat. You will be surprised how many experience executives are willing to connect and hop on the phone to give you advice!
5. Use the Student Card!
- Reach out to alumni from your school who work at your dream companies – they are always willing to help you out!
6. Attend Virtual Events!
- Previously, events were in specific cities that you either had to miss out on or travel too to attend, now these events are virtually and sometimes even globally! A majority of virtual events are free. Utilize social media and Eventbrite to find events happening soon!
For a full video on this topic and MORE, subscribe to our YouTube channel for new videos every other Wednesday!