Creating the Path to Your Dream Career
This blog is written by Maggie, our Campus Ambassador for the University of Kansas. Maggie is a junior majoring in journalism. She is an intern for College Lifestyles, Blissful Belle, and College Gloss.
The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and if they can&t find them, make them. - George Bernard Shaw
A dream career is a desire that most individuals long for in today&s world. Everyone searches day in and day out for this sacred job where the division between work and play is faded. This job is attainable. It isn&t something to push to the side as an outlandish endeavor. It is something to believe in. It is something to work towards every single day. It is something achievable with hard work, determination, passion and enthusiasm.
Take a look at the five tips below and incorporate them into your daily life. There is always room at the top for the willing and the aspiring!
- Log in to your LinkedIn account daily. It can be anything from a five minute check in to an hour long update of your past experience. Each small session will add up to more networking and a greater chance of landing an internship your job of choice.
- Blog. A personal blog is a perfect way to document your passion and drive on a daily basis. Employers who see your blog can easily get a feel for your personality and how you live your life. The catch is to showcase yourself well and keep it positive.
- Read. Always have a book on hand that contains information about your field of choice. It is essential to become as knowledgeable as possible about the ins and outs of your desired profession. You never know what information will help you out in an interview!
- Surf the web for resources. The internet is a dynamic source when it comes to researching companies and learning about what it takes to land a particular job. You can seek out everything from blogs to factual articles about people in the business you hope to be a part of in the future.
- Check websites such as careerbuilder.com daily to learn about recent job opportunities. It will give you an edge if you can apply to the jobs quickly. This will enable you to seek out top opportunities when they become available.
Go after your dream career because you owe it to yourself to be the happiest you can be. It is important to land this career because as Confucius said, “choose a job you love and you will never have to work a day in your life.”