Laura Brothers is a junior at Ithaca College majoring in journalism with minors in legal studies and international communication. Her love of travel has led her across Europe and she hopes to land a career in travel journalism.
The Day After Valentine’s Day is the perfect excuse to stock up on all things sweet. Store shelves are lined with chocolate hearts, candy creations and everything red or pink up to 75% off! The day after any seasonal holiday is the perfect time to shock up on candy; everything from the traditional chocolates to the inventive candies.
Here is a list of my favorites:
1. Chocolate, chocolate, chocolate. Chocolate in any form is a winner, but chocolate in heart shapes, with raspberry filling or heart-shaped boxes filled with chocolate is irresistible.
2. Name brand candy, such as M&M’s, Skittles and Reese’s, all make Valentine-themed treats that are just so much better than the original. Who doesn’t want M&M’s in a heart container or Reese’s wrapped in pink foil?
3. Sweethearts. It’s just not Valentine’s Day without a box of these little candy messages. They have even been updated from the original “be mine” with sayings like “tweet me.”
4. Cupcakes. Whether they are funfetti or red velvet flavored they can be made even more festive with pink or red frostings and heart-shaped sprinkles in red, pink and white.
5. Chocolate-covered fruit. Strawberries, apples, and bananas: they are all better covered in chocolate. My favorite combination is chocolate strawberries, tasty and festive.
What’s your favorite?