Daily inspiration and advice for the ambitious savvy young professional
Do's of a Chicago Internship
/ 7 years ago
This blog is written by Taylor, our campus ambassador from Ball State University. Taylor just completed a summer internship in Chicago!
- DO buy a summer public transportation pass. We all know as college students that we are on a tight budget, and using public transportation not only saves money, but also allows you to spend your money on other fun things in the city! It’s a win, win situation for us!
- DO leave early for EVERYTHING. While public transit is a great money saver, it’s not always the most punctual. Give yourself at least double the amount of time it takes to get to work to prevent tardiness and a lecture from your supervisor.
- DO attend ALL work events/parties. I worked at or attended all of Michigan Avenue Magazine’s events that I could and ended up meeting and having great conversation with some very influential people. Working at these parties is not only fun, but a great place to make connections for further internships!
- DO explore Chicago. It’s a huge city with so much to offer! So make sure to explore every neighborhood and find your favorite local haunts. You never know, it could be your home one day! Better to see now rather than later if Chicago is a good fit for you.
- DO work as much as possible. I occasionally went in on Fridays even when I didn’t have to, and usually ended up working on really cook projects, while still getting to go home early. Also, always be looking for more work while you are in the office, this will show great incentive and your supervisor might even ask you back next summer!
- DO get to know your supervisor. They are the single most important person you will work with during your internship, so take advantage of it! Ask them out to lunch a couple of times during your internship and pick their brains with questions about their jobs and advice for interns! Your internship will be much more enjoyable if you have a good relationship with your supervisor!