This blog was written by Gabriella, our Campus Ambassador from Quinnipiac University. You can follow Gabriella on Twitter @gabberzgirl.
As the holiday season quickly approaches, everyone is excited to go home and enjoy homemade food with family and friends. This year, why not join your family in the kitchen and create treats of your own? Here are five easy treats for those of you who are kitchen impaired. After all, you do not need to have your own show on the Food Network to successfully master the kitchen!
1) Apple nachos. Thinly slice as many apples as needed and place on an oven-safe plate. Now you can take creative control! Drizzle whatever your heart desires over the apples and warm in the oven for 10 minutes. An unbeatable combination is peanut butter, chocolate almond butter, chopped walnuts, and granola.
2) Trifle. This decadent dessert is simple, yet appears professional. In a large bowl, simply layer whipped cream, chocolate pudding, pieces of cake, and your favorite candy. Or for a healthier version, opt for fresh fruit instead of candy!
3) Chocolate Pretzel Bites. Spread pretzel squares on a baking sheet. Place one Hershey kiss in the center of each pretzel. Bake in the over for 5 minutes, until the chocolate becomes soft. Place one M&M in the softened chocolate. Let cool. To make this treat festive, use colorful chocolates!
4) Crescent Rolls. Crescent rolls are easy because they can be used for virtually any kind of treat! Unroll the dough and place on a baking sheet. Then simply fill the dough with anything you choose, roll, and bake! A favorite of mine is peanut butter or Nutella spread with fresh fruit.
5) Fruit Salsa. For a healthy dessert this holiday season, whip up a fruit salsa! Finely chop apples, kiwi, and assorted berries. Mix in a large bowl with white sugar, brown sugar, and fruit preserves. Finally, serve with cinnamon sugar pita chips!
Do not be afraid of the kitchen this holiday season! These easy treats do not require the expertise of a Top Chef. The beauty of cooking is modification: healthy substitutions and adjustments can be made for any of these recipes!