This blog post is from Racquelle, our Campus Ambassador from Seton Hall University.
Many people think that you have to starve yourself to lose weight! Or people think that by following ridiculous diets by only having water and a slice of turkey will help you get your beach body. Wrong! In fact eating every 3-4 hours helps shed the pounds. Most athletes eat all day to stay in shape.
Our bodies are actually supposed to eat small proportion of food every 3-4 hours, but we have trained our bodies to maybe eat only once or twice a day. You are damaging your metabolism by starving your body. When you skip meals your body begins to store more fat because it is hungry and goes into survival mode.
So throw out the old mindset of thinking that you have to skip dessert or no carbs, you can eat whatever you want, as long as it’s a small proportion and eat in moderation. Here are some extra tips to help you get started to eating healthier!
1. Eat 5-6 times a day: 3 meals and 3 snacks
2. Carbs! you need it for energy. Try incorporating whole grain in your daily diet
3. Eat many fruits and veggies
4. Drink lots of water; it helps shed pounds and keeps you hydrated
5. Eat protein: meats and fish.
6. Eat light snacks such as granola bars, yogurt, fruits, peanut butter and crackers, or cheese.