February is Materials Month! During the month of February, your job is to get your materials in the best shape possible! This means organizing your resume, cover letter, reference letters, and online portfolios or websites (if you have them). At this point, you should have already done your research in January. If you missed our January research plan you can read it HERE. You should already know what each employer on your dream list will require from you. If you aren’t familiar with the proper format of a resume or cover letter, grab a copy of my first book ALL WORK, NO PAY, it has resume and cover letter samples and tools to help you create great materials. Here are some tips for going through your materials in February.
- Go through your Intern Queen Dream List and make sure you’ve marked next to each of your dream companies exactly what that company requires to apply for the internship position. Remember, if you don’t know about the Intern Queen Dream List, pick up a copy of ALL WORK, NO PAY.
- Print out your old resumes and cover letters and let’s give them a makeover. On InternQueen.com we have tons of content that will help you revamp and makeover your materials. For advice on how to clean up your resume, click HERE and for advice on how to revamp your cover letter, click HERE. I want to remind you to take this process very seriously - a great cover letter and resume are ultimately what make an employer say, “I want to interview this person.”
- If you have an online portfolio or website and want to use it for your internship applications, it’s time to start getting these organized as well. We’ve written some advice on these topics HERE.
- Remember to customize your materials. You can’t send the same resume and cover letter to every company you apply for. I suggest printing out all of the internship postings and going through them with a highlighter. What does the company say they are looking for? Do you have what they are looking for on your resume or in your cover letter? The internship posting should tell you what the company wants to read about on your materials. Make sure you don’t accidentally send the wrong cover letter to the wrong company!
- Look at your schedule and block out 5 hours on an upcoming day (in the next two weeks) when you can sit down and start to organize everything you need for the application process and get your materials out there. You want to make sure you don’t miss the deadlines. I recommend applying for everything at the same time if possible that way you’ll know exactly when you need to follow up.
- The month of March will be about follow up. For now, let's make sure to get at least 10 internship applications out in February!
Missed our January plan? Read it HERE and get started ASAP!