This blog was written by Kristie our campus ambassador from the San Diego State University.
With the fall semester right around the corner, it’s really time to get into gear for school. Another year means that it’s the perfect time to set new goals for yourself. I always find that setting new goals helps me keep myself on track of my future goals. Here are a few tips on how to set up goals for the new semester.
1) Keep your long-term goals in mind. Whenever I set up mini-goals for myself, I always ask if they will help what I have planned for myself in the long run. For example, if my long term goal is to stay healthy then my goal for the semester would be to work out three times a week or to only eat candy on the weekends.
2) Measurable. This is so important. I always set measurable goals so I can keep track of how I am doing. If my goal is to not have to pull an all-nighter, than I commit myself to setting aside 3 hours of just study time for each class.
3) Track yourself. It’s really easy to set goals and not track if you are hitting them. I always suggest getting a planner so you can track your progress towards your goals whether they be for the week or for the month.
4) Be reasonable. We are human and it’s in our nature to make mistakes. While I always make a point to get to my goals, if I don’t achieve one I just make sure that I will get to that goal at some point.
5) Reward yourself! I think it is so important to reward ourselves for achieving anything. It does not matter what it is, big, small just make sure that you celebrate your achievements!