First of all, CONGRATS! If you are reading this, you probably have multiple job or internship offers lined up, which is no easy task. The next step is deciding which position is the best fit for you, and of course, informing the employers of your choice. We know it can feel a bit awkward or uncomfortable turning down an opportunity, but with Intern Queen's help, you can feel confident in your decision and maintain a positive connection with the employer.
1. BE DIRECT! The employer will appreciate your honesty and directness because they can move on efficiently in their hiring or interview process. If you are wishy-washy in your decision making and continue to lead an employer on, this is where resistentment may develop.
2. MAKE SURE YOU SAY "THANK YOU!" The employer has devoted time and energy in the process of interviewing and considering you as a potential hire! Make sure you thank them for their consideration and efforts.
3. Say you want to stay in touch, then ACTUALLY STAY IN TOUCH! After you send your email removing yourself from the opportunity, put in your calender to reach back out in six months to check in. You never know, maybe the job or internship you accepted doesn't end up working out and you can circle back to this company.
4. If you know another cadidate that would be a good fit, RECOMMEND THEM! This will be appreciated by the company and hiring manager, as the job search process is just as stressful on their side. Being helpful never hurt anybody!
5. Email EVERYONE involved in the process to say thank you. Instead of sending a generalized email to the hiring manager, email everyone involved in the process to say thank you and that you would love to stay in touch. You never know the type of connections and opportunites these employees could have, so make a memorable and positive impression on all of them!
The job search process in stressful enough! Having these tips in your back pocket will make you feel more confident in your internship and job decisions.
To learn more on this topic, check out our Youtube video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwFi0Dc271A&t=10s