With the New Year upon us, there is more and more talk about resolutions and personal goals. While many people say, “this year will be my year,” these simple tips will help make that possible for each and every one of you!
- Write it all down. What are your goals, long term and short term? What is your dream job? Where do you see yourself in a year, 5 years or even 10 years? Take some time to think about the answers to these questions and jot it all down. Write these answers on decorated notecards and tack them on a bulletin board so that your dreams are in reach every single day. By writing these goals down, you will have a better understanding as to who you are and what you plan to accomplish in the coming year.
- Send an email to yourself. Something else that you can do with your goals is sending an email to yourself. Type up a letter to yourself outlining your dreams, desires and goals for the next year and email it to yourself. Keep this letter flagged for the upcoming year. On a day that you are feeling discouraged or overwhelmed, read this email and remind yourself of the ambitious person that you are and all that you can become.
- Cheer on others. Be happy for those around you. When you have your eye on the prize, other people’s success can be frustrating and disheartening to your own progress. However, you should look at other people’s success as a sign that it can also happen for you. It should be reassuring rather than discouraging. As Amy Poehler (my favorite comedian) says, “Rooting for other people’s failure does get in the way of your success.”
- Get inspired by books. Inspiration can come from a variety of places. I love reading books by powerful women who have beat the odds. Books constantly inspire me! I love snuggling up and drinking a cup of tea while reading about the incredible journeys of some of today’s most successful individuals. Some of my favorite inspirational books are Amy Poehler’s Yes Please, Sheryl Sandberg’s Lean In, or even Queen Bey's biography!
- Read about other people’s successes. Is there a person’s career that you want to emulate? Look up everything you can about them and use this as a launching pad for you. Do not replicate their life or career but instead find how you can make it yours.
With these five tips in your arsenal, it is true that this can in fact be your year. You have the ability to make it whatever you want it to be. So let’s get started!