People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) is the largest animal rights organization in the world, with more than 3 million members and supporters.
PETA focuses its attention on the four areas in which the largest numbers of animals suffer the most intensely for the longest periods of time: on factory farms, in the clothing trade, in laboratories, and in the entertainment industry. We also work on a variety of other issues, including the cruel killing of beavers, birds, and other “pests” as well as cruelty to domesticated animals.
PETA works through public education, cruelty investigations, research, animal rescue, legislation, special events, celebrity involvement, and protest campaigns.
• Do you have experience working in an office? You will represent Writers Group and the PETA Foundation on the telephone and in e-mail correspondence to editors.
• Are you a PowerPoint pro? You will help the writers maintain an organized department by completing accurate administrative tasks, including a monthly PowerPoint presentation.
• Do you have a Ph.D. in Google research? You will be called on to pull interesting facts and sources quickly in order to help with writing projects.
• Writers Group sets the writing tone for the entire organization. Are you ready to help maintain standard operating procedures and update the writing style guide for the organization?
• Writers Group works with a large network of volunteer writers. You will be in charge of finding creative ways to recruit volunteers and search for writing opportunities to make sure that our volunteer writers have the chance to do what they do best.
• Do you find yourself coming up with fresh, interesting ideas to help maintain order at home or work? We need your help reorganizing departmental databases. As with any position, there will be some duties that may not be listed here, so you'll take on new duties as assigned by the supervisor
• College degree or equivalent experience
• Minimum of one year of experience in an office setting
• Proficient computer skills, including experience with Microsoft Excel and Access
• Demonstrated excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Proven ability to establish priorities and meet deadlines
• Proven ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment
• Demonstrated excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
• Ability to interact and communicate with volunteers and individuals at all levels of the organization in a professional manner
• Demonstrated ability to professionally advocate PETA's positions on issues
• Ability and willingness to be flexible with daily tasks
• Ability to lift and carry boxes weighing up to 10 lbs. frequently and up to 40 lbs. occasionally
• Commitment to the objectives of the organization