Take Your Education On A Mission!
The mission of the American Diabetes Association is to prevent and cure diabetes and to improve the lives of people affected by diabetes. Experience the gratification of knowing your work impacts the well-being of millions of people, both directly and indirectly, affected by Diabetes.
The Birmingham office of the American Diabetes Association, the nation's leading health organization focused on diabetes, is seeking an energetic and outgoing Public Relations or Communications Associate intern. The American Diabetes Association (ADA) seeks a highly motivated, self-starting student who is passionate about public service. Intern will provide support to ADA staff and gain valuable skills and insights while assisting with communications/Public Relations, event planning, corporate research and volunteer outreach for the American Diabetes Association throughout Alabama. ADA internships are unpaid, but we offer a flexible internship of one semester or up to one year with the ability to fit your educational needs and earn credits.
With this internship, students will receive the following benefits:
* Opportunity to work closely with professional staff at all levels (Director, Manager, Associate Manager) as well as some Board of Trustees
* Networking with other corporations including media outlets and other communication firms
* Gain working knowledge of public relations functions and tools
* Field experience in public relations, marketing and fund-raising
* Potential Career opportunity
* College credit available
This internship will enable a skilled student to assist the ADA by working on important fund-raising cultivation events. This internship will provide the opportunity to gain experience in a variety of areas including:
* Media monitoring and analysis
* Manage social media initiatives
* Media and marketing material production
* Ability to plan and execute a variety of events
* Development of press releases, media advisories, press kits, etc.
* Ability to plan press conferences
* Implement national campaign messages
FUNDRAISING & EVENT PLANNING
* Assist with planning & implementation of special events along with pre and post events
* Assist with donor tracking and follow-up both in recruitment and registering companies, teams and individuals
* Draft letters, mail out and follow-up to prospective sponsors and special guests
* Design and prepare event materials and communications including newsletters, email blasts, phone calls, etc.
* Researching charitable programs of major local corporations
* Assisting with implementation of marketing strategies
* Project development and management
* Strategic planning of brochure distribution
* Street team recruitment and management
* Research and data entry projects
Major in public relations, journalism, communications or related field
Minimum three years of college education (or completion of required prerequisite courses)
Relevant work/educational experience
Knowledge of office tools (Microsoft Word, Excel, Publisher, Power Point, etc.)
Strong written and verbal communication skills
Proficiency in database management and design of spreadsheets
Interpersonal communications skills
Excellent writing and research skills
Ability to prioritize and handle a variety of assignments simultaneously
Currently enrolled as an undergraduate or graduate student
No experience necessary, but attention to detail and accountability required
** Time commitment of 15-20 hours per week (minimum) is requested.
**Availability: Spring 2012