Purpose of role
This is an excellent opportunity for a graduate or student seeking an industrial placement, to work within the busy commercial department of the Huffington Post Media Group, covering Huffington Post UK and AOL sites in UK, France and Germany.
The successful candidate will gain a deep insight into the licensing & commissioning of content for our editorial teams. They shall have day-to-day responsibility for contracting AOL UK’s editorial Contributors & Freelancers; as well as with Photo Agencies; encompassing new contract negotiations; amendments & renewals; development projects to automate delivery, and evaluations to assess the impact of Tablet & Mobile usage.
You will negotiate contributor contracts, develop AOL’s contract framework, ensuring it is fit for purpose; provide reporting to the business on contract performance, and provide support and guidance to a dynamic media team.
The successful candidate shall also be involved in other major deals, being progressed by the Business Development team, at the time of their internship.
If you are multi-talented, assertive and task oriented, with an eye for results, please apply. This role requires a person who is a team player and has an understanding of business and deal-making in an editorial environment.
Key Role Accountabilities
There are two key accountable areas in this role:
Drive all new deals and amendments with editorial Contributors (including Freelancers, Bloggers, and Writers):
• Work with media team to evaluate potential Contributors
• Advise on pay scales and deal structures
• Lead negotiations
• Draft contracts using templates
• Secure business approvals for deals
Drive all new deals and amendments to our Photo Agency roster:
• Work with media team to identify and evaluate potential partners
• Advise on terms and deal structures
• Support negotiations
• Ensure compatibility with US licenses/global content use
• Secure business approvals for deals
• Act as the key point of contact for day-to-day contract enquiries for AOL’s Contributors
• Responsible for pulling together the monthly Business Development report informing the business on performance against business metrics
• Help ensure that Business deals perform to the budgeted P&L
• Manage Contract database, including scheduling deal renewals and extensions
• Collaborate with Content Partners to optimize existing deal execution, reporting and ensure proper implementation and delivery
• Collaborate with partners to develop new Business opportunities
The role involves being part of virtual teams across different business units (legal, finance, media). You must:
• Thrive in a team environment and
• Be dedicated to doing a great job;
• Understand the position and objectives of others in the workplace and show respect for them;
• Admit mistakes; and
• Have a good sense of humour.
• Strong interpersonal skills – positive attitude; needs to be a team player – diplomatic
• Excellent organization, attention to detail, time management, prioritization, presentation, and communication skills (both written and oral)
• Must be resourceful, proactive, multi-tasker, that can prioritize and problem-solve.
• Candidate must have strong negotiating and interpersonal skills and the ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously
• Familiarity with contracts in either previous work placements or principle of contracts in an academic setting and delivery issues a plus
• Exercise good judgment and flexibility
• Proficient in Word, PowerPoint and Excel
• Effective analytical skills, experienced in building financial models and business cases in either previous work placements or an academic setting.
• Review, analyse, and plan agreed objectives.
• Self-starter who can cope in a fast-paced environment
• Solution oriented – needs to be able to run with things and find solutions to problems that crop up
• BA or BSc degree (or equivalent) – Business or Law is desirable
• Excellent A-level qualifications (if currently studying)