Girls' LEAP (Lifetime Empowerment & Awareness Program) trains at-risk girls aged 8-18 in verbal and physical safety skills and self-awareness. Girls’ LEAP helps girls develop a diverse set of responses to violence, beyond the extremes of passivity and escalation.
Girls’ LEAP's physical skills techniques maximize girls' options and help girls to make safe decisions in spite of fear. The self-reflective skills strengthen girls' ability to say "no" in difficult situations, to create safe and constructive boundaries, and to identify and trust their own feelings.
• Girls’ LEAP has 3 positions available for full-time (35 hours/week) summer interns
• Opportunity is available for undergraduate or post-graduate women
• Placement: June 10 – August 19, 2010 (dates to be confirmed)
• Training: 16 hours of training required if new to Girls’ LEAP. Dates to be set as needed.
• Complete internship training
• Work with Girls’ LEAP staff to support and implement girls’ self-defense and empowerment programs in underserved communities within Greater Boston
• Act as an assistant teacher (“Teaching Woman”) in summer Girls’ LEAP Standard programs
• Supervise a small team of teens who are enrolled in Girls’ LEAP’s Teen Mentor Summer Program
• Complete an individual multi-media project
• Assist with one-time workshops and outreach events for local youth-serving agencies in Greater Boston
• Work with Girls’ LEAP staff on discrete projects such as development, program evaluation, research on a particular issue, community impact, etc.
• BA or current undergraduate student
• Experience working with youth
• Openness, willingness and enthusiasm to work with urban girls ages 8-18
• Comfort with physical movement
• Ability to communicate clearly and work in teams
• Comprehensive MS Office / computer skills, college level writing and research skills
• Positive attitude, enthusiasm and a sense of humor
• Commitment to Girls’ LEAP values of female empowerment, intergenerational teamwork, strength-based instruction, honesty, creativity and personal dedication to mission
• Previous experience mentoring urban youth a plus
• Bilingual applicants encouraged to apply