KEEN is a national, volunteer-led nonprofit organization that provides one-to-one recreational and sports opportunities for children and young adults with mental and physical disabilities at no cost to their families or caregivers. KEEN provides children with autism, cerebral palsy, Down syndrome or other disabilities the opportunity to play, shoot hoops, kick a soccer ball, work out at a fitness club, bowl, swim, sing or dance with help, as needed, from volunteer coaches.
KEEN Mission Statement:
KEEN's mission is to foster the self-esteem, confidence, skills and talents of its athletes through non-competitive activities. By pairing each athlete one-to-one with a trained volunteer coach, KEEN helps young people facing even the most significant challenges meet their individual goals. The programs provide the athletes with exercise, opportunities for friendship, and the sense of belonging to a group; the parents or caregivers with much needed respite and resources; and hundreds of volunteers with increased understanding about the needs of people with disabilities.
Site Location: 929 Academy Road (near dodger’s stadium)
Office: 601 S. Figueroa Suite #2500, Los Angeles
• Computer programming experience (such as, but not restricted to, C++ and Java); Graphic Design experience (such as, but not restricted to, Adobe Photoshop); Eagerness to work with people also desired
• Design and develop a low content computer game and game interface for KEEN LA’s annual benefit fundraiser. Other possible responsibilities include maintaining KEEN LA’s internet media outreach including its web, Facebook, and Twitter pages.
• Attend KEEN sessions to gain a greater understanding of the organization
• No prior experience necessary working with disabled populations.
• Credit Available
• This is a intern position (unpaid)
• Must have access to e-mail
5 hours a week
Must be available to volunteer at KEEN sessions (2 Sundays a month)