Description of KEEN:
KEEN is a national, volunteer-led nonprofit organization that provides one-to-one recreational and sports opportunities for children and young adults with mental and physical disabilities at no cost to their families or caregivers. KEEN provides children with autism, cerebral palsy, Down syndrome or other disabilities the opportunity to play, shoot hoops, kick a soccer ball, work out at a fitness club, bowl, swim, sing or dance with help, as needed, from volunteer coaches.
KEEN Mission Statement:
KEEN's mission is to foster the self-esteem, confidence, skills and talents of its athletes through non-competitive activities. By pairing each athlete one-to-one with a trained volunteer coach, KEEN helps young people facing even the most significant challenges meet their individual goals. The programs provide the athletes with exercise, opportunities for friendship, and the sense of belonging to a group; the parents or caregivers with much needed respite and resources; and hundreds of volunteers with increased understanding about the needs of people with disabilities.
Requirements/Necessary Skills for Recruitment:
Description of position:
• Help promote KEEN in the greater Los Angeles community
o Assist with reaching out to local universities, businesses and community organizations to recruit athletes, volunteers and sponsors
• Assist with maintenance of volunteer database
• Assist with registration at KEEN sports sessions
• Update website context
• Provide assistance in grant and foundation research
• Help coordinate KEEN recreational programming sessions
• No prior experience necessary working with disabled populations.
• All training will be provided
• Must be familiar with Microsoft office suite software
• Credit Available
• This is a intern position (unpaid)
• Must have access to e-mail
Benefits & Perks:
12-15 Hours Per Week