The American Diabetes Association (ADA) is the nation’s leading voluntary health agency dedicated to the fight against diabetes. Established in 1940, the organization’s primary purpose was to support the medical and professional community. Today, the ADA is a nationally incorporated association dedicated to finding a cure and preventing the devastating consequences the disease has on nearly 30 million individuals with diabetes and 79 million people with pre-diabetes.
Our mission is to prevent and cure diabetes and to improve the lives of all people affected by diabetes.
This position is based in the Birmingham, AL office and covers the states of Alabama and Mississippi. Candidates must be energetic, team players, results-oriented and dedicated to the achievement of personal and team goals. Internship requires a candidate with confidence in interpersonal communication, ability to craft and promote a message, comfort with phone cultivation and a passion for making a difference in the lives of people with and affected by diabetes.
Duration: Spring 2016/Summer 2016
Hours: Minimum of 15 hours/week
The Marketing/PR Intern’s responsibilities include (but not limited to):
* Create, develop and implement promotional materials and social media campaigns
* Prepare media materials such as press releases, advisories and media kits
* Manage the monthly ADA newsletter process.
* Ensure visible placement of ADA events and programs on ADA website, local event websites, social networking sites and community calendars
* Work with staff and volunteers to appropriate handle media contacts on the day-of-event
* Assist as necessary with other marketing communication and health promotion needs
* Candidate must exude professionalism
* Commitment to a flexible work schedule of a minimum of 15 hours per week
* Education in public relations, journalism, communications or related field
* Excellent writing, research and interpersonal communication skills
* Experience with Microsoft Office applications and social media
* Ability to prioritize and handle a variety of assignments simultaneously in a fast-paced and time-sensitive work environment
* Attention to detail and accountability
* Ability to see the “big picture” and assist with all marketing/communications/PR aspects of events and programs
* Interest or personal connection to diabetes is desirable, but not mandatory
* Must have reliable transportation (mileage reimbursed)
* Ability to lift 25 lbs.
Candidate will report to the Market Director, for more information, please contact: Angie Rosen, Coordinator of Community Engagement at 870-5172 x:3055 or email@example.com