The American Diabetes Association (ADA) is the nation’s leading voluntary health agency dedicated to the fight against diabetes. Established in 1940, the organization’s primary purpose was to support the medical and professional community. Today, the ADA is a nationally incorporated association dedicated to finding a cure and preventing the devastating consequences the disease has on nearly 30 million individuals with diabetes and 79 million people with pre-diabetes.
Our mission is to prevent and cure diabetes and to improve the lives of all people affected by diabetes.
This position is based in the Birmingham, Al office and covers the states of Birmingham and Mississippi. Candidates will work directly with ADA staff and gain valuable skills while assisting with event promotion and planning, account recruitment and management, and volunteer outreach for the American Diabetes Association. Interns will focus efforts on the Association’s key special event and mission delivery initiatives.
This unpaid internship can provide school credit, portfolio- building experience, a flexible schedule, fun environment, and valuable experience in the non-profit, special events and fund development industries.
Candidate must be energetic, a team player, results-oriented and dedicated to the achievement of personal and team goals. This internship requires a candidate with confidence in interpersonal communication, comfort with phone cultivation and a passion for making a difference in the lives of people with and affected by diabetes.
Duration: Spring 2016/Summer 2016
Hours: Minimum of 15 hours/week
The Special Events and Fundraising Intern’s responsibilities include (but not limited to):
* General event preparation, execution and follow-up/evaluation
* Corporate and Team account management
* Conduct telephone outreach to engage participants in the local signature fund-raising events
* Assist ADA staff with corporate Kick Off events
* Coordinate Signature Event logistics
* Communication with vendors, participants and volunteers via multiple channels
* Working with Microsoft Office Suites
* Assisting staff members with administrative tasks
* Some travel may be required (travel will be reimbursed)