Visit Wales is the New York-based government tourism office for Wales, one of four countries that make up the United Kingdom. A land with 641 castles, 870 miles of walkable coastline, three national parks and award-winning cuisine, Wales offers travelers a variety of activities and different landscapes to explore. The country's Celtic history and ancient language make it a distinctive British destination.
We are a British tourist board based in midtown Manhattan. We are looking for an enthusiastic and detail oriented intern to provide marketing support, largely at an administrative level. This person will contribute to the effective organization and implementation of consumer marketing and trade strategies throughout the US and Canada.
Interns will have the opportunity to attend sales meetings, develop e-newsletters, create ad-hoc marketing materials, and participate in industry events. They will leave the internship with a better understanding of destination marketing both from a business to business and business to consumer perspective.
We are looking for someone who is available to start in September and continue until December. In addition to available college credit, pay will be $10/hour for 14-21 hours a week. Please write a cover letter indicating why you are interested in the position and how your skills and experience have prepared you for the role. Please also include your resume as an attachment.
- Assist in database management; maintain and update trade databases.
- Manage relationship with fulfilment warehouse to ensure effective brochure distribution.
- Assist in itinerary development by creating a database of place names, definitions and images.
- Work with manager to develop new trade and marketing activity from research to evaluation, carrying out delegated tasks as directed.
- Assist with the organization of Visit Wales presence at trade and/or consumer events/exhibitions and attend relevant events where appropriate.
- Collate relevant information for Visit Wales’ consumer e-newsletter; collate and provide content suggestions for VisitBritain’s media, trade and consumer e-newsletters. Research, collate and provide specific product information for Visit Wales and VisitBritain campaigns.
- Maintain liaison with Welsh societies and other Welsh interest groups in the US, sending them relevant brochures and information.
- Carry out additional duties as requested (e.g. assisting with promotional and sales activities, and inquiries, assisting with PR events alongside Visit Wales’ media relations agency).
- Provide general administrative support including but not limited to writing business letters and completing mailings using mail merge.
- Support digital marketing projects including drafting web pages on our CMS, preparing banner ads and print layouts, editing photos, and copywriting; retrieving and organizing data using Google analytics.
- Must be a confident and clear communicator, able to respond to email and telephone inquiries (when Manager is not available).
- Must be efficient, conscious of deadlines, detail-oriented, numerate and understand the importance of accuracy.
- Must be capable of working without supervision at times and able to use own initiative to work independently in absence of manager.
- Must have good writing skills for drafting business letters and marketing copy.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office 2010 including Word, Excel and Powerpoint.
-Knowledge of Google analytics is a plus, but at minimum must be willing and able to quickly master new technology tools if we provide training.
- Studying and/or experience in journalism, media, tourism or PR/marketing preferable.
- Knowledgeable about or have an interest in the European travel industry.
- Familiarity with and interest in using social media in a travel marketing context is a plus.
- Familiarity with the media landscape in the US and Canada is a plus.
Interning at Visit Wales is a great introduction into the travel and tourism industry! Plus interns can receive college credit and payment!