It's a Balancing Act; Managing Your Commitments as an Intern & Student
Alison E. Berman is our Campus Ambassador from Sarah Lawrence College.
Maybe, like myself, you are finding yourself in the spring semester of your senior year at college and your on and off campus commitments are starting to rapidly increase. As a career focused individual, you probably take your academics, current internship and your career search incredibly seriously. With that said, many of us make ambitious goals to reach before graduation such as; graduate at the top of your class, stand out as an exceptional intern, land the perfect job to launch your professional career, create meaningful relationship along the way. These are wonderful aspirations and meeting them is completely feasible, but the journey along the way can definitely put a lot of responsibility on your shoulders. You might be asking yourself now, “So how do I reach these goals and balance all of my commitments”?
The question of how to balance the various obligations in your life is one that we will all revisit again and again throughout our life’s journeys. Right now, however, we should focus on creating a schedule that is both positive for achieving success in your goals and one that also promotes mental and physical health. As many people say, it’s about the journey, not the destination. With that quote in mind, here are some important steps to take along your journey to maintain balance, motivation and endurance!
· Make sure you get enough sleep! Aiming for at least 7 hours of nightly sleep is essential to keep your brain functioning at its best, whether you are participating in the classroom or performing at your internship.
· Keep your eye on the prize. Remind yourself as often as you need to that all of your current efforts are focused towards a larger purpose. You are building a strong foundation for yourself as an individual and for your professional future.
· Consistency. Whether it is a matter of upholding a consistent workout plan, maintaining healthy eating or upholding a productive time management schedule, pursue these habits with consistency. Practicing consistency will help you use your time and energy efficiently.
· Take a little personal time each week! This does not mean that you should sleep through a class or call out of work. However it is important to aim to set aside a chunk of time each day to get a few items crossed off from your to do list. Even taking a few hours each week to simply relax and spend some alone time can help you regenerate for the week ahead.
· Keep an updated planner. Make sure you keep an up-to-date and comprehensive planner. This will help you, at the start of each week, know what is on your agenda and can help you anticipate what your days are going to require of you. This will assist you with time management skills and help you make sure to complete everything that you need to get done. An up-to-date planner will also help you adapt to unanticipated tasks that you are given throughout the week.
I hope tips are helpful and keep you motivated, composed and focused!