Back to school season is officially upon us, which necessitates one of my least favorite tasks: packing. Ugh. If you’re anything like me the process of preparing to move feels overwhelming. Despite the many marketed lists of “college essentials,” when I headed to my freshman dorm I couldn’t help but feel like I was forgetting something. Although imperatives like a pillow and blanket are unlikely to be overlooked, I compiled a list of must-pack items that save the day in a pinch.
- A Mini First-Aid Kit
- When you need a band-aid, ib proufen, tums, or an allergy pill, you’ll be glad to have the essentials at your fingertips. I have my mom to thank for this brilliant idea.
- Water Pitcher
- Unless you’ve got a water fountain across from your dorm, having a little supply in your room comes in handy when you’re all ready for bed and realize you’re thirsty or when need to fill your Keurig in the morning.
- Wrinkle Release Spray
- This stuff is a life-saver. Not only does this $6 spray conceal the fact you rolled out of bed 5 minutes before class, it also leaves your clothes smelling like they just came out of the wash.
- Safety Pins
- Just in case that loose button finally falls off, the hole in your jeans rips a little too much, etc.
- Cards, Envelopes, and Stamps
- Inevitably you will need to mail something — a birthday card, an absentee ballot, a thank you, etc. — when that time comes, a couple blank cards and stamps will save you a trip to the store and post office.
- No one wants to show up to class soaked. No one. Speaking as someone who forgot an umbrella for 3 years of school, trust me, it’s worth your time to remember.
- Clorox Wipes
- No one wants a sticky dorm room.
- Can Opener
- If you’re in a dorm this may not apply, but you never realize you need a can opener until you’ve got a can of food you can’t eat until you find a way to open it. Thank me later.
About the author: Raised in the midwest, Molly Walker recently relocated to Phoenix, Arizona where she is a first-year law student and lifestyle blogger. She has a background in business with a degree focused on entrepreneurship and management. Get to know Molly on Instagram: @xmollywalker