Make The World "Suck Less" - Intern With DoSomething.org!
Imagine if your job title was, "Head of Fun"… Seriously, how COOL would that be?! DoSomething.org is changing the internship game by giving interns awesome projects that change the world, one campaign at a time. Check out the exclusive interview with Katie Radford at DoSomething.org NOW!"
- How would you describe DoSomething.org in 5 words or less? Making the world suck less.
- What is your role at DoSomething.org and what do you like most about it? My official title is Head of Fun (seriously.) I do our hiring, recruiting, run our internship programs, and take care of office management. My favorite thing about my role is that I get to spend my day thinking about ways to make DoSomething.org an awesome place to work. Whether it's finding someone to build a team out, making sure the staff have the supplies they need, or helping our interns succeed, it's so rewarding to get to touch a different part of our culture on a daily basis.
- What campaigns have been your favorite? I love Give A Spit, our campaign that asks college students to swab their cheek and sign up for the national bone marrow donor registry. Our campaigns have a wide variety of impact, but this one really drives it home for me. Our members are literally saving lives. Holy cow.
- What's the most impressive thing an intern has ever done on a campaign? This summer we've started having our interns fully develop campaigns - from start to finish. They are doing research, putting together a call to action that fits our rules, and pitching it to our Director of Campaigns AND our CEO. One of our campaigns interns rapped (yes. rapped) his very first campaign pitch for our CEO. He was here for less than two weeks at that point, so it was an awesome demonstration of how he understood our vibe and how we put the DoSomething.org special sauce on our campaigns. It also inspired the other campaigns interns to find creative ways to present their ideas.
- What can a prospective intern do to really stand out? To stand out, intern applicants have to show us how much they love DoSomething.org. We want people in here who are passionate about what we do and really believe in our mission, because those are the people who will work their tails off and will grow with us. We also want to know what it is about you that makes you unique. As an intern, you can't rely as much on your experience and education (let's be honest, you don't have a lot) so show me in another way what what you can bring to the table. What is your unique viewpoint that we just have to have? Show it! We also like brownies :)
- How would you describe your company's culture? Innovative. Fun. Quirky. We're always looking for new ways to make things better, faster, and easier. This creative solution mentality definitely reflects in our culture. We love celebrating wins for the org, our staff, and interns. Just to drive this point home... Last week we rewrote the words to the "Fresh Prince of Bel Air" theme song for our CEO's birthday and performed it for her.
- What's different about your internship program versus others? We have very specific positions that we hire for. We don't offer general-task-rabbit-coffee-fetching roles. We give our interns meaningful work and projects that they can own for the whole time they are here, and they report directly to a staff member for the team they are a part of. We set goals at the beginning of the semester that fit into two buckets: (1) Something DoSomething.org related - these are direct projects they they will be working on here and (2) Personal goals - these are skills they can learn here that are transferable to life after their internship. Our staff is 25% former interns, so helping our interns grow and develop skills is not only great for them, but a smart investment for us. Want to join us? Visit dosomething.org/about/internships to apply for an internship.
DoSomething.org currently has internships open for high school and college students. Check them out below and apply!
- High School Member Engagement Intern
- High School Marketing Intern
- High School Office Management Intern
- High School Campaigns Intern
- Business Development Intern
- Campaigns Intern
- Digital Content Intern
- Digital Engagement Intern
- Finance and HR Intern
- Graphic Design Intern
- Intern of Fun
- International Intern
- Partnerships and PR Intern
- TMI Intern (The DoSomething.org Agency)
- User Experience Research Intern
- Photo and Video Intern
- Writing and Journalism Intern
- Web Developer Intern