Several of our Campus Ambassadors are graduating and in the middle of the job hunt, and many of them have told us about the use of Skype for interviews. I spoke with our former ambassador, Caitlin Beck, who just graduated from Fordham about her experience and tips for other young grads doing Skype interviews:
1. Treat it like a face-to-face interview. It’s just as important.
2. Have your resume on hand – just like you would for an in-person interview. You never know when you will need it or when the employer will specifically reference something on your resume.
3. Dress to Impress. The employer can see you and you want to appear professional and polished.
4. Set up your laptop 15 minutes prior to the interview and test your video settings to make sure you are up and running.
5. Watch the Noise. Make sure that you don’t have any extra noise in the background (TVs, dogs, roomates).
6. Make sure that the lighting is correct and that you are presenting yourself in the most professional way possible.
7. Shut Your Cell Phone. You don’t want your phone ringing as you are on your Skype Interview.
8. Practice Interview. Have you done a mock Skype interview before? Do a practice round with friends, family, or your career center.
For more of my interview tips – for all kinds of internship interviews – check out my book All Work, No Pay!