Things That Every Intern Should be Carrying in Their Bag
This blog was written by our campus ambassador Melissa Lawhorn from Indiana University. If you go to Indiana University and want to blog for us, please comment here!
You’ve probably heard over and over again that there are things interns should do. A certain way you should dress, a particular way you should communicate via email, or different must-do items in the city of your internship. Whatever you may be doing, there are some tools you should ALWAYS have in your bag!
- A notebook and writing utensils. Everybody has heard this one before, but it’s ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL that you have a notebook and pens/pencils on you at all times! You never know when you will need to take notes, or when a colleague (or supervisor!) might need a writing utensil.
- Business cards. Even if they just say your personal information (name, phone, email, social media links) you should ALWAYS have them on your person. You never know when you may meet someone that you want to connect with later!
- A planner (even if it’s on your phone!). There are always dates to remember, and when you’re interning, it seems like there are constantly things coming up. Be it a deadline, event, or night out with the other interns, you want to make sure you have an updated calendar at all times. Even if it’s through Google Calendar and kept on your phone, make sure that you have it available for you whenever you need it!
- Cash and ID. Sure, most people carry their wallet, but what if you forget that in the office when you run out for an errand? Try to keep a spare $20 and a photo ID in your bag, just in case.
- A good attitude! Cheesy, and okay… you can’t ACTUALLY carry it in your bag, but you should always have a good attitude! While you may not enjoy every single task that you’re assigned at your internship, remember that even something as simple as getting coffee for everyone will benefit you later!