This blog is written by Emily, our campus ambassador from Chapman University in California!
For those of you who think iPhone&s and iPad&s are just toys, I am here to tell you otherwise. I have an iPad and there is only one game on it. I filled it with social media, academic and entertainment apps instead.
Here are my top 7 apps for students:
1) Course Smart - With this app, you can rent your textbooks on coursesmart.com then access them on your iPad. No need to schelp heavy books across campus anymore! This app is easy to use and allows you to do more than you can with an actual book. My favorite feature is that you can search keywords and it will take you directly to where that topic is discussed in the book!
2) iStudiez Pro - This is a digital planner for you. You can enter your class schedule, put in your assignments and choose when you want reminders to do them. It also counts down how much time you have left in a class which I love when I can&t sit still any longer in class.
3) LinkedIn - I love having LinkedIn on my iPad. It easily allows me to look up my connections for when I&m on an internship hunt. It&s only a mobile version so it doesn&t have all the features of the website but plenty of them are right there at your fingertips.
4) Blackboard - If your school uses Blackboard and you have a iPhone or iPad, you MUST get this app. I can keep up to date with my grades and assignments while on the go. It functions so smoothly too and is simple to use. It keeps me logged in so I don&t even have to worry about entering my information!
5) news related apps - Now this is just a category of apps and it&s all based off of your personal preference but I have NY Times and Reuters for my news around the world and The Hollywood Reporter for entertainment news. I think it&s important to constantly have access to the news because everything is always changing. It&s great being able to just sit down in Starbucks and read up on my news around the world and my entertainment industry news as well.
6) Twitter - Having Twitter on my iPad is probably my favorite of them all. I am a tweet-a-holic (@emsteinyyy). I am always reading through my feed and tweeting about life and articles I come across. With the iPad app, it makes it easy to read articles people tweet. I can read my feed while allowing a website to load right next to it so instead of getting bored while waiting, I can continue to read and get my updates on what is happening in the world around me.
There are so many amazing apps out there that don&t make your device look and act as just a toy. You should all check out the above apps and explore further into apps that can expand your knowledge and organize your life. If anyone has an app they can&t live without, share it with me!