The Trash-Can Resume
During my interview with Jamie Foxx's The Foxxhole Network, on Sirius XM Radio last week, I was asked about my internship program. The students interviewing me on the show wanted to know what I absolutely hated to see on resumes. I started to answer the questions and kept referring to these resumes with errors as "trash can resumes" - resumes that are automatically disregarded or physically thrown in the garbage. But what exactly qualifies a resume to be a Trash Can Resume? I've added my thoughts below and I'd love to extend this question out to other employers and internship coordinators...
In your opinion, what qualifies a Trash Can Resume?
- Spelling errors
- Wrong company name
- Company name or contact name spelled wrong
- An objective that makes no sense or is not in line with the position itself.
- longer than one-page
- reading anything about the student's personal life that might make me (the reader) feel uncomfortable (relationship status, strange hobbies)
- anything negative about previous employers
- resumes that aren't formatted properly
- different fonts all over the resume
- picture on the resume
- different colored text