What I Learned from the Intern Queen
This blog is written by Jenn, our campus ambassador from Arizona State University.
“Don’t go after what’s available, go after what you want”. This quote was stated by Lauren Berger, the Intern Queen, who gave the most motivational speech at Arizona State University on Wednesday November 16th. It was definitely an evening full of amazing internship advice. I’ve incorporated my favorite advice that Lauren discussed and condensed them for you to remember within your future internship/job endeavors.
- Have you sent in a resume for an internship? Contact the employer 24 hours afterwards to follow up. Lauren Berger landed her first internship after cold calling the employer and sending her resume within 24 hours which resulted in the employer being very impressed in her determination!
- 3 valuable aspects to prepare yourself for an interview 1. Mock interview (your career center on campus is a great resource for this) 2. Wear business attire, preferably a business suit. Presenting yourself professionally is always a plus 3. Send a hand written thank you note after the interview. Lauren must have repeated this 3 times and on my paper I had this underlined/bolded as a key piece of advice.
- We will all get rejected at some point, it’s a normal part of life.
- Informational meetings are a great way to introduce yourself to a company that you may want to potentially work for one day.
- Stay in touch with your professional contacts 3 x a year (fall/spring/summer).
- Never decline an internship over email.
- When emailing your resume & cover letter, always attach a word file and a pdf file for convenience for the employer.
- Internships should challenge you.