Two and a half years ago, I got on a plane to Sydney, Australia for what would be the best 4 months of my life spent studying abroad at the University of Sydney. During orientation, or “O-Week,” the main walkway of campus was a big fair with all of the clubs and groups at school. Like many of you, I couldn’t walk past a booth with the words “opportunity” “leadership” or “social impact” on its banner, so I stopped to learn more about 180 Degrees Consulting. 180 Degrees is the largest international student run consultancy, providing non-profits with consulting and university students with real world experience that makes a difference. After a great semester at USyd with 180 Degrees, I returned to Ithaca College and started one of the first branches in North America. Two years later, I’ve graduated from IC and joined the International Executive of 180 Degrees Consulting as the Branch Manager of the North American region. One of my main goals is to aid in the expansion of 180 Degrees in North America by recruiting passionate, ambitious, student leaders (does that sound like you?) to start a 180 Degrees branch at their university. Below are five reasons why you should apply to start a branch:
1. Stand out from other clubs. 180 Degrees Consulting is unlike any other organization at your school right now. It’s international, completely student-run, hands-on, professional, and growing rapidly.
2. Practice leadership skills. Starting a student organization is a great opportunity to develop strong leadership skills that will serve you well throughout your college career, and afterwards.
3. Make an impact. By bringing 180 Degrees Consulting to your school and local community, you’ll be able to help countless people that rely on the services offered by the non-profits you work with.
4. Join a global community. With almost 20 branches across 14 countries, you’ll be connected with young people across the world that share your passion for social impact.
5. Gain hands on experience. Through recruiting and interviewing students, managing an executive board, clients, and consultants, using professional consulting methodology and developing reports, you’ll gain valuable first hand experience in consulting.
If you’re thinking that this sounds like the perfect opportunity for you, apply to start a branch right here! For more information, please feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. I look forward to hearing from you!